Job Title: Craft Centre Coordinator
Reports To: Senior Craft Centre Technical Advisor
Job Location: Kisumu
Position Type: Fixed Term
Make Me Smile Kenya, established in 2009, is an NGO with main focus on children and youth welfare, health, gender equality and economic strengthening.
The Craft Center which was set up in 2018 now supports adolescent girls and young women through community-based efforts to increase household incomes, trains and empowers adolescent girls and young women (AGYW) in producing high quality products for national and international market, empower them to become self-reliance and improves their knowledge on reproductive health.
The project location is Mayenya sub location, Angola/ Kolwa East Ward, Kisumu County.
Reporting to the Senior Craft Center Technical Advisor, the Craft Centre Coordinator will provide technical leadership and implementation focusing on addressing more effectively and holistically the needs of the center. He/She will advocate for and guide the conceptualization, integration and operationalization of creative product designs, quality check and marketing of the same. In support of this technical leadership function, the position’s primary goal will be strengthening the center to address issues relating to empowering adolescent girls and young women.
He/She will advise and participate in the day to day technical aspects of program implementation, facilitation and participation of active networking between the Crafts Centre and other relevant organizations such as outlets, schools, government institutions, lodges and suppliers.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Degree in Design/Tailoring
- Experience with Industrial Machines and Pattern making
- Knowledge of local and international textile market
- Strong analytical and project management skills
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in a similar position
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability motivate and inspire teamwork among diverse partners, without direct supervisory responsibilities
- Ability to transfer skills and knowledge through, training, mentorship and accompaniment
- Demonstrated ability to work with and in teams
- Excellent written, oral communication/report writing
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office)
- Demonstrated ability foster integration in programming approach
Competencies Relevant for the Specific Position:
These are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of MMS-K and used by the Craft Center coordinator to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results:
- A broad grasp of socioeconomic community issues with respect to adolescents, OVC and HIV/AIDS
- Commitment to addressing inequalities in matters touching on adolescents girls and young women;
- At least two years’ progressive experience implementing adolescent focused craft integrated empowerment, HIV/AIDS, and other Health related projects in Kenya, preferably in an NGO setting.
- Diplomacy, tact, and negotiating skills;
- Training/coaching/ Supervision skills;
- Experience in the development of strategic and tactical plans and strong interpersonal, report writing, presentation, and organizational skills
- Strategic thinking and vision.
- Training of new AGYW, staff member and casual worker
- Come up with creative product designs and institute the production, quality check and marketing of the same
- Work closely with the MMS/K Household Economic Strengthening Specialist to identify ways to address structural/household economic issues that put adolescents especially girls at risk and support appropriate response.
- Observe the market on craft and arts products.
- Build customer base and customer care
- Sales management (sales in shops, workshop, inventory etc)
- Sales statistic (production, matrix)
- Keep abreast of emerging designs and best tailoring practices and ensure that information is shared in an appropriate manner.
- Help ensure quality, consistency and adherence to standards and best practices for craft center programs through technical oversight, systematic implementation, and monitoring and evaluation of program performance and achievement of results.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
Written applications indicating the reference number of position applied for and CV including day-time contact phone numbers, as well as names and contact information of three references should reach the below-mentioned by Close of Business Monday, March 12th, 2020.
Human Resources Manager
Make Me Smile Kenya
P O Box 3033-40100 Kisumu
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org